THE DIGITAL WALTERSMENU
Internet Archive BookReader Demo
triangle
← search Rule of St. Augustine W.340
Manuscript Overview
References
Bindings & Oddities

Abstract

This manuscript, written in Italy at the end of the fifteenth century, contains three different texts attributed to St. Augustine of Hippo (354-430 CE). Augustine was an early Christian theologian and scholar from Roman North Africa who is considered one of the most important Church Fathers. The texts in this manuscript are guidelines for Augustine's followers, monks and nuns alike, on how to live a simple and pious Christian life. The first and third texts are specifically written for his female and male followers respectively as indicated by the miniatures on fols. 1r and 26r. The fourth text in the manuscript is roughly the same as the first and seems to have been added later, perhaps in 1714, the date inscribed above the rubric (fol. 33r). On fol. 26r, the Augustine monk St. Nicholas of Tolentino (d. 1304, canonized 1446) appears in the lower margin, which suggests the Walters manuscript was originally for a monastery dedicated to this saint.

Hand note

Humanist script except for the last text (fols. 33v-41v), which seems to have been added later

Decoration Note

Intricately detailed margins and illuminations before each of the first three texts: miniature of St. Augustine presenting his book of rules to a group of kneeling nuns, two medallions with Augustinian nuns, likely St. Monica in the bottom margin, a medallion with "ΙΣΧΣ" in gold letters flanked by putti in the upper margin, added floral detail in red, blue, green and gold leaf on three sides (fol. 1r); an inhabited inital "C" with a portrait of St. Augustine, a medallion in the top margin with "IHS" in gold letters, a detailed floral border similar to that on fol. 1r on two sides (fol. 7r); a miniature of St. Augustine presenting his book of rules to a group of kneeling monks, two medallions with Augustine monks, that in the lower margin depicting St. Nicholas of Tolentino (d. 1304, canonized 1446), a medallion with "IHS" in gold letters flanked by lions in the upper margin, a floral border in green, red, blue and gold leaf on three sides; each chapter begins with a small decorated initial in gold leaf (Roman square block capitals) on a background of red, green, and blue pigment with added detail in gold; incipits and explicits in red ink; main text in black ink

Contributors

Principal cataloger: Berlin, Nicole

Cataloger: Walters Art Museum curatorial staff and researchers since 1934

Editor: Herbert, Lynley

Copy editor: Dibble, Charles

Contributor: Emery, Doug

Contributor: Herbert, Lynley

Contributor: Tabritha, Ariel

Conservator: Polidori, Elisabetta

Conservator: Quandt, Abigail

Bibliography

De Ricci, Seymour. Census of Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in the United States and Canada. Vol. 1. New York: H. W. Wilson Company, 1935, p. 824, no. 402.


These are pages that we pulled aside that disrupted the flow of the manuscript reader. These may be bindings, inserts, bookmarks, and various other oddities.

Upper board outside

Spine

Fore-edge

Head

Tail

Keywords
Document
Private devotional text
Treatise
Christian
Italian
Humanistic
Medallion
Miniature
Original binding
Italy
15th century
Devotion
Theology
Painting

Origin Place

Northern Italy (Ferrara?)

Date

Ca. 1490 CE

Form

book

Binding

Original Binding

Binding Description

Brown goat(?) leather binding created ca. 1490 in Italy; blind-tooled and stamped; on both boards an ovular stamp surrounded by sun rays and enclosing the inscription "IHS' with a cross above and three nails below; rebacked at a later period

Language

The primary language in this manuscript is Italian. The secondary language of this manuscript is Latin.

Provenance

Created in Northern Italy

Leo S. Olschki, bookseller, Florence, before 1912

Henry Walters, Baltimore, purchased from Leo S. Olschki ca. 1912

Acquisition

Walters Art Museum, 1931, by Henry Walters' bequest

← search Rule of St. Augustine W.340

Origin Place

Northern Italy (Ferrara?)

Date

Ca. 1490 CE

Form

book

Language

The primary language in this manuscript is Italian. The secondary language of this manuscript is Latin.

Provenance

Created in Northern Italy

Leo S. Olschki, bookseller, Florence, before 1912

Henry Walters, Baltimore, purchased from Leo S. Olschki ca. 1912

Acquisition

Walters Art Museum, 1931, by Henry Walters' bequest

Manuscript Overview

Abstract

This manuscript, written in Italy at the end of the fifteenth century, contains three different texts attributed to St. Augustine of Hippo (354-430 CE). Augustine was an early Christian theologian and scholar from Roman North Africa who is considered one of the most important Church Fathers. The texts in this manuscript are guidelines for Augustine's followers, monks and nuns alike, on how to live a simple and pious Christian life. The first and third texts are specifically written for his female and male followers respectively as indicated by the miniatures on fols. 1r and 26r. The fourth text in the manuscript is roughly the same as the first and seems to have been added later, perhaps in 1714, the date inscribed above the rubric (fol. 33r). On fol. 26r, the Augustine monk St. Nicholas of Tolentino (d. 1304, canonized 1446) appears in the lower margin, which suggests the Walters manuscript was originally for a monastery dedicated to this saint.

Hand note

Humanist script except for the last text (fols. 33v-41v), which seems to have been added later

Decoration Note

Intricately detailed margins and illuminations before each of the first three texts: miniature of St. Augustine presenting his book of rules to a group of kneeling nuns, two medallions with Augustinian nuns, likely St. Monica in the bottom margin, a medallion with "ΙΣΧΣ" in gold letters flanked by putti in the upper margin, added floral detail in red, blue, green and gold leaf on three sides (fol. 1r); an inhabited inital "C" with a portrait of St. Augustine, a medallion in the top margin with "IHS" in gold letters, a detailed floral border similar to that on fol. 1r on two sides (fol. 7r); a miniature of St. Augustine presenting his book of rules to a group of kneeling monks, two medallions with Augustine monks, that in the lower margin depicting St. Nicholas of Tolentino (d. 1304, canonized 1446), a medallion with "IHS" in gold letters flanked by lions in the upper margin, a floral border in green, red, blue and gold leaf on three sides; each chapter begins with a small decorated initial in gold leaf (Roman square block capitals) on a background of red, green, and blue pigment with added detail in gold; incipits and explicits in red ink; main text in black ink

References

Contributors

Principal cataloger: Berlin, Nicole

Cataloger: Walters Art Museum curatorial staff and researchers since 1934

Editor: Herbert, Lynley

Copy editor: Dibble, Charles

Contributor: Emery, Doug

Contributor: Herbert, Lynley

Contributor: Tabritha, Ariel

Conservator: Polidori, Elisabetta

Conservator: Quandt, Abigail

Bibliography

De Ricci, Seymour. Census of Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in the United States and Canada. Vol. 1. New York: H. W. Wilson Company, 1935, p. 824, no. 402.


Bindings & Oddities

These are pages that we pulled aside that disrupted the flow of the manuscript reader. These may be bindings, inserts, bookmarks, and various other oddities.

Upper board outside

Spine

Fore-edge

Head

Tail

Keywords
Document
Private devotional text
Treatise
Christian
Italian
Humanistic
Medallion
Miniature
Original binding
Italy
15th century
Devotion
Theology
Painting
YOUR COLLECTION

Share this Collection

Clear All

Note: This collection feature is in beta, and not yet fully functional. If you're interested in saving your collection to continue using it in the future, please us the share action.